To: Multiple Recipients of <unicode@unicode.org>
From: Mark Leisher <mleisher@crl.nmsu.edu>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 1997 11:23:37 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Unicode BDF fonts available

Over the last year I have been working on a single typeface which can be
used to render Unicode text.  The typeface is intended for presenting
truly multilingual text on Web pages, particularly for dense academic
papers/texts that liberally mix languages.

I have been distracted recently by "real" work and am unable to do much
more work on the fonts.  So I decided to put the fonts out so others can
use them or work on them if they wish.

The typeface is 12pt, 100dpi, proportional, and heavily influenced by
Donald Knuth's Computer Modern.  There are about 3100 glyphs at the
moment in four fonts.  Some of the glyphs are in the Private Use Area
and may need to be moved if they conflict with other Unicode support
systems.

I am not an expert in many of these scripts, so please feel free to send
me changes if you see something wrong.  Also feel free to add glyphs to
the fonts.  I would appreciate a copy of any additions made.  The fonts
have not actually been tested in Web pages yet, so more work will
probably be needed to adjust the glyph spacing.

The fonts are available at:

  ftp://crl.nmsu.edu/CLR/multiling/unicode/fonts/cu12.tar.gz

If you need a BDF font editor:

  [Sources]
  ftp://crl.nmsu.edu/CLR/multiling/General/xmbdfed.tar.gz

  [Binaries: Linux, Solaris, SunOS]
  ftp://crl.nmsu.edu/CLR/multiling/General/xmbdfed-2.7-ELF.tar.gz
  ftp://crl.nmsu.edu/CLR/multiling/General/xmbdfed-2.7-SOLARIS.tar.gz
  ftp://crl.nmsu.edu/CLR/multiling/General/xmbdfed-2.7-SUNOS.tar.gz
mleisher@crl.nmsu.edu
Mark Leisher                "A designer knows he has achieved perfection
Computing Research Lab       not when there is nothing left to add, but
New Mexico State University  when there is nothing left to take away."
Box 30001, Dept. 3CRL                   -- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Las Cruces, NM  88003

- Nelson H. F. Beebe                  Tel: +1 801 581 5254                 -
- Center for Scientific Computing     FAX: +1 801 581 4148                 -
- University of Utah                  Internet e-mail: beebe@math.utah.edu -
- Department of Mathematics, 105 JWB                   beebe@acm.org       -
- 155 S 1400 E RM 233                                  beebe@ieee.org      -
- Salt Lake City, UT 84112-0090, USA  URL: http://www.math.utah.edu/~beebe -