Re: New font developments: OpenType Font Specification

Hi,

on the mailing list TYPO-L I've just found a message which might be
interesting for us, too, since we've already discussed the subject
`Open Type Fonts Specification':

Daniel Will-Harris <Daniel@WILL-HARRIS.COM> wrote:

>Font foundries and designers have been vocal in their fear of font
>embedding on the web, and now it seems their fears were
>well-founded,at least in the case of Microsoft s new browser, Internet
>Explorer 4. The browser s new OpenType font embedding feature has a
>fatal security flaw that makes it easy for any user, even those
>without technical knowledge, to capture embedded fonts from a web site
>and install them into their system for use with all their software. No
>one other than myself has yet uncovered the simple steps to do so and
>I will not reveal the steps here, because I don t want people pirating
>fonts.
>
>Microsoft knows about the problem and has stated it will do nothing to
>correct it.
>
>You can read the details at http://news.i-us.com/wire/

Finally , let me mention another new www page

http://www.typeright.org/feature4.html

which deals with font piracy.

Greetings

Walter

Walter Schmidt <wschmi@ibm.net>
Schornbaumstrasse 2,  91052 Erlangen,  Germany
pgp key (1024 bits, keyID 69D36B8D): see <html://www.trustcenter.de>
pgp key fingerprint: 1C E5 A5 D8 B8 F7 E2 EF  36 55 69 EC D8 26 94 A9