Re: psnfss and lw35nfss

I wrote:
>>       - I'd love to see something explaining the naming conventions used
>>         for fonts. I'm sure there probably is something somewhere on CTAN
>>         but I couldn't make anything appropriate out in this distribution.

and Karl Berry replied:
> http://www.tug.org/fontname/ or ftp://ftp.tug.org/tex/fontname.tar.gz
> or CTAN:info/fontname.

Well, looking at this it still doesn't explain to me the naming from
the following line in psnfss.map:

  ptmrre8r Times-Roman " 1.2 ExtendFont TeXBase1Encoding ReEncodeFont " <8r.enc

I can break this down into:

  p    <- Adobe
  tm   <- Times Roman
  r    <- Regular roman
  re8r <- Regular Engraved/Copperplate/Elite TeXBase1Encoding

... whereas I would have expected ptmr8re or ptmrr8re, i.e.

  p   <- Adobe			or	p   <- Adobe
  tm  <- Times Roman			tm  <- Times Roman
  r   <- Regular roman			r   <- Regular roman
  8r  <- TeXBase1Encoding		r8r <- Regular TeXBase1Encoding
  e   <- Expanded			e   <- Expanded

So, clearly there is something I'm not understanding here (or a mistake
has been made)...

    Melissa.