Slimming downloaded PS fonts to skip unused chars?

I have a vague recollection that there was some kind of (uncirculated?)
utility out there that could strip out those characters from a downloaded
PS font so that it just included the glyphs actually used, and that this
was useful if one was using the BaKoMa fonts with dvips, for better
PostScript portability, but wanted less space hungry files.

Has anyone heard of such a utility?

    Melissa.

P.S. I also vaguely recall that the BaKoMa fonts were going to have a new
release sometime in the near future, but maybe I'm confusing that with the
`DC' (T1) MF CM fonts.