\charsubdef

We do, but the font library is far from complete yet, and
in some sense the mapping is still not cast in concrete.

\charsubdef allows you to bridge the gap by giving
you floating accents if you don't yet have a full
complement of accented characters.  It's a stopgap,
but a very pretty stopgap.

Incidentally, I made a suggestion about tfm heights and
depths for accented characters (essentially that all
accented composites have exactly the same tfm heights
as their underlying unaccented substrate) and have
got a response only from Barbara Beeton.  It is something
that is going to have to be decided as part of the 256-character
general accented font, because there is only a very limited
number of tfm-height indices available.

Email concerned with UnixTeX distribution software should be sent primarily
to:	elisabet@max.u.washington.edu           Elizabeth Tachikawa
otherwise to:  mackay@cs.washington.edu		Pierre A. MacKay
Smail:  Northwest Computing Support Center	TUG Site Coordinator for
	Thomson Hall, Mail Stop DR-10		Unix-flavored TeX
	University of Washington
	Seattle, WA 98195
	(206) 543-6259