Re: Adobe EuroFonts

Ulrik Vieth wrote:
>> slot 128 is called "Euro", all the remaining slots are called
>> "Euro.nnn", where "nnn" is a sequential number

... Berthold K.P. Horn replied:
> Importantly the font also has a glyph called uni20AC.  Otherwise it
> wouldn't work properly in a Unicode environment like Windows NT, where
> the Euro has the old Unicode 1.1 position 20A0.  While the font shares
> a subroutine for all these glyphs, its not clear why they bothered
> with different names.  There most be some brain-dead software that
> gets confused by encoding vectors with repeated entries.  In any case,
> the font files would be a lot smaller without these extraneous names...

I ripped out the extraneous entries in my copies; it's fairly easy to
do (I think I used a perl one-liner in combination with t1disasm/t1asm
so that I could quickly run it on each of the fonts).

I'd offer to provide these much smaller versions, but while I'm fairly
confident that Adobe doesn't care about my fixing my own copies, I don't
think they'd like my redistributing those modified versions.

    Melissa.

P.S. I routinely look into and fix copies of fonts -- it seems like just
about anything made by Fontographer or FontStudio contains some problem
or other, like spurious or misnamed glyphs, or an unnecessary platform
dependent encoding.